Friday, February 9, 2007

Its Rain Rain Raining

My last day of Pediatrics was yesterday and I need to do laundry. I baked Stacey a carrot cake for her birthday and it turned out damned good. I should be writing a paper but there's just no time. I felt like my work on the Oncology unit wasn't great. I was clumsy. I was sad. I felt pretty clueless most of the time. Since I was intermittently there and not there. Its much easier to develop a sense of skill when you're there a couple days in a row. But my teacher seemed to feel like I could be good given more time. Like I would get it right with more practice. And she said that I have a way of walking into the room and talking with people that makes them feel comfortable and at ease talking to me.

So although, I didn't know what to say to the patients a lot of the time I was able to get them to feel like they could be kids and just be themselves with me.

And yesterday was a gift. I got to work with a 9 mo. old and it just felt right. He was active and playful and funny. We gave him a bath and hung out with him and Mom. * And he's getting better and he gets to go home--- thank God. His Mom was amazing, very centered and light hearted and she had made staying at the hospital normal for him. I'm not going to forget them.

But next week when we start working with the Psych patients its gonna be a whole new game. I just have to keep repeating what Brian told me--- I am the normal one. I am the normal one.

I will also do my best to not say crazy in front of the crazy people.

No comments: