Saturday, June 16, 2007

I use "health-care provider" because I know it is 100% correct

Please read this out loud. Unfortunately, it's not s situation where I can give credit where credit is due--- but it is absolutely amazing! This woman could be the next I don't know the next grammar nazi! To achieve the true spirit of the letter I like to drink a shot of fernette and do my best breathy Italian voice.

Dear class:

First of all, please make sure to complete your class evaluation by
Friday June 1, in that way I can add 5 points to your grades.
I will email you the graded debates by the end of this week.

I enjoyed so much being the TA for your F1912 course "Nursing Issues".
Reading all your write ups, and final papers really opened my
mind. It also forced me to ask question and revisit my knowledge of
grammatical rules, especially around hyphens.

I would like to share with you what I learned around hyphens. I enclose
a section on them from the book "Writing with Style" by John Trimble.
http://www.amazon. com/Writing- Style-Conversati ons-Art-2nd/ dp/0130257133/
ref=sr_1_1/102- 8764154-9333763? ie=UTF8&s= books&qid= 1180133662& sr=8-1

I encourage you to read the attachment, I found it very useful. ...I
even started emailing Prof. John Trimble questions!!!
In the end (probably exhausted by my queries), he suggested me to
purchase this book:
http://www.amazon. com/o/ASIN/ 0195161912/ ref=s9_asin_ image_1/102- 8764154-
9333763?pf_rd_ m=ATVPDKIKX0DER& pf_rd_s=center- 2&pf_rd_r= 1JNJVHYQEMXSHDJ8 Z
HTS&pf_rd_t= 101&pf_rd_ p=288448501& pf_rd_i=507846

I asked Prof. Trimble whether the word "health care provider" needs the
hyphen. He answered positively, saying that it is correct to write
healthcare provider or health-care provider. I then asked the opinion of
an anthropology professor and he is against the hyphen in "health care
provider". My impression is that anything goes with "health
care/healthcare/ health-care provider". So please, pick what you feel is
most comfortable and be consistent in your text. I use "health-care
provider" because I know it is 100% correct.

I also asked Prof. Trimble about well-being and he said that it needs an
hyphen because well-being is a new noun created by the justaxposition of
two words; the same is true for decision-making or know-how.

If the word (like African American) can be either a noun or an
adjective, you need to think whether you are using the word as an
adjective or as a noun and where those words are located in your text.
For example:

Twenty African-American men just arrived. (compound before noun ==>
hyphen)
The twenty men who just arrived are African American. (compound after
the noun ==> no hyphen)
An African American left the room. (compound as noun ==> no hyphen)

One more example with a compound that works only as adjective:

Well-intentioned individuals are everywhere.( adjective before noun ==>
hyphen)
Those individuals are well intentioned. (adjective after the noun ==> no
hyphen)

If you have any questions and remarks please contact me at any time.
Thank you again for sharing so many thoughts and reflections with me!

Sincerely,

Ella

No comments: