Thursday, March 13, 2008

Grace

Hillary Clinton should have the grace to leave the election now with her dignity intact. She is a great statesman. She does have excellent qualifications: Watergate attorney, started the Children's Defense Fund, took on Healthcare before it was a buzzword. But she should learn from Al Gore and aim her sites higher than the presidency.

Her campaign staff has made her seem irrelevant, desperate and mawkish. She is grasping at straws now and by refusing to accept her defeat with dignity is making it seem like women can't compete in politics because they can't handle defeat. Hillary needs to have the diplomacy and the good grace to bow out with dignity. This battle is larger than being a frontrunner.

On any day of the week any one of us can be outperformed by anyone else. They might be younger, or older. They might be male or female, or transgendered. They might be from a different country or ethnic background. For whatever reason from time to time you lose at something. Let it go. Accepting defeat doesn't mean that you can never win again. It simply means acknowledging that its not your time.

I voted for Hillary in the primary and I wanted her to win. But she hasn't. I think it's time for her to pass the torch to Obama. I think she needs to accept the fact that the democrats have spoken and they feel its time for a new generation to take the reigns. I think that Barack Obama will make a fine president. I believe that Hillary would have as well. But the simple truth is she lost, and its time for her to move on.

The fact is the party needs Hillary and Obama. American politics is much richer with both of them engaged. What we don't need is the two of them tearing each other down in the interest of some front runner endgame that results in another 4 years of Republican presidency.

1 comment:

SM Kovalinsky said...

You are absolutely correct in your analysis, except for one thing: You underestimate the degree of desperation and denial which Hillary is gripped by. She simply cannot see the obvious. And she will never let go. Never. At this point, she would rather see the Democrats sink and McCain win. I think she has made that abundantly clear. Let go with grace? In our dreams. . .