Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hit and Run

At 2 am this morning in a fit of road rage a man in a red Toyota ran over a pedestrian --- The story was he got in an altercation verbally with these 2 guys who were walking through the cross walk and one of the guys ran up to his car and punched it. The driver got pissed drove up and down the block and then up onto the sidewalk and ran the guy over. He then drove away but parked his car nearby and the police apprehended him later. Turns out the guy was on parole.

At 11 am I bought mint and lime and some sweet potatoes for dinner at a Mexican Grocery at Valencia and 16th near where it all went down.

I guess what freaks me out about it is about 4 months ago Stace and me were walking home from the Mission and this car drove into the pedestrian lane. It was a kid driving maybe 17 at the oldest and he had his window open and we just walked around the car it was no big deal... Sometimes it can get scary when people almost run you over, but this guy pulled up slowly and it was a red light and shit like this happens every day so whatevs right?

But when Stace and I got to the curb, I heard a man yelling furiously behind us. His voice was so keyed up that I turned around. I wanted to run but first I wanted to see what was going on. Basically this 40 yo guy was stading in the crosswalk yelling his head off at the kid in the car. He was really working himself up into a frenzy over this and the kid kind of shrugged his shoulders and rolled up his window. At this point the guy in the crosswalk came unhinged.

He punched the driver's window with the flat of his fist and I flinched. I thought for a moment he was gonna break the window and pull the kid through it. I saw the kid's girlfriend pull out her cell phone. The guy in the cross walk was going nuts. I was scared to turn my back on him top run. Normally Stacey is like don't stare, but everyone was staring there was a group of us on the corner just witnessing because no one was about to intervene. The guy was completely out of control. He was kicking dents into the side of the door with his foot. The kid and his girlfriend were staring too, probably hoping like hell the light would change so they could get away.

When the light changed the guy chased the car for like 2o feet. We ducked into a liquor store and waited for the guy to walk past us. It was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in the 8 years I've lived here. I kind of wonder if he was the same guy that punched the car yesterday.

What was his life like that he'd gotten to that level of frustration, where punching a car was something that made sense? What were his final thoughts when the car ran over him?

No comments: