Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bay to Breakers

I woke up this morning to the cheers and drunken running of my fellow san franciscans nearing the base of Hayes Hill and I thought about Tristan. I tried to remember if it was this year or last that we wandered up to Tristan's place for bloody mary's to watch the festivities, and then I thought about how he was in Ireland now and far away that is.

Then I got up. Stacey and I stood at the corner of Hayes and Gough with Kaia resting between our feet and watched as the hordes ran past. An old lady flashed passers by from a second story window on the corner and laughed in delight as the crowd screamed in appreciation. The crowd seemed bigger than ever, methinks the upcoming election and gay marriage have re energized san francisco.

I went back to the apt for my pink boxing gloves and hula bandana in need of a costume to blend in and we joined our friends for the crawl up Hayes Hill.

I thought about getting married in fall in some kind of ceremony. I thought about being able to afford it now and how waiting for this moment this legalization has meant that there are some people I won't get to share it with... The reality is that weddings are not the end or even the beginning. They are events along a trajectory they are Hayes hills or flashes of brilliance, giggles of joy and revelry. There are going to be plenty more parties we'll have and I'll get to connect with everyone I hope to and it will be what it will be which is about time.

No comments: