I'm having the strongest dejavu right now. People screaming on the street. Questioning my decision to stay up and download Bowie when I've got a lot of reading to do for class. I went to a focus group about nursing today and I said entirely too much. Hopefully it will be helpful. Hopefully it will not come back to bite me in the ass. The truth is SFGH is not a good place to work if you're a nurse. They don't pay overtime--- they cut support staff so you're guaranteed to have to work overtime. And the union is largely unresponsive to the concerns of entire units when they are asked to intervene. If it's not politically correct for me to say that out loud and warn new nurses to find healthier work environments so be it. I am not going to set other people up to fail, or fall victim to the golden handcuffs there.
With that said can I just say that some people really don't get it. One of the survey participants was actually complaining about the high wages nurses are paid in San Francisco, and suggested that we are overpaid. This kind of bullshit deference is the reason why nurses have less malpractice protection than other healthcare professionals, and the reason why many nurses are underpaid. RNs earn their salaries. Instead of lowering CA's standards to those of the rest of the nation we should think about elevating the rest of the nation's standards to those of California. If its treasonous for me to suggest that nursing administration is out of touch with the concerns of floor nurses then so be it. You know what it felt good to speak my mind. And it felt even better to get paid for speaking my mind.
Now I just need to find a safe healthy environment to work in.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment