So I kind of stepped in it. We have this message board where we post comments and this one assignment I posted was about this teacher at one of my clinicals who basically was resistant to bringing this kid to escort a kid to the healthcare center who had told her he was hearing voices. It was something that really bothered me because 1) it sounded like she had done this before (been usupportive of a kid in crisis) and 2) it is so important that this kid get on board with therapy and an adequate medication management plan. I mean seriously. If he is schizophrenic his best chances of achieving normalcy and managing his illness rest on him starting and adhering to treatment early. He needs to be praised for handling himself appropriately, and he doesn't need any extra added bullshit from this lady.
The professor of the class agreed with me and suggested I try to discuss the issue with the teacher directly. I am hesitant to do this for 2 main reasons. One, we have little or no contact with the teachers at this placement and two I feel like it may not necessarily be my place to talk with her. I'm going to talk to my preceptor about it and see what he thinks. It may be a good thing for me to do just for the sake of practice as it is likely something that may come up again later in my career. Whether I am advising a parent on how to talk with teachers when their kids have special needs or things going on. The professor gave me pretty good advice on how to handle the situation and talk with the teacher. We'll see if I follow through on this.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment