Saturday, February 7, 2009

Blogspot is the place for writing

At 16, all I wanted was to find a girl to love. 10 years later I met Stacey. 6 years later we were married. There is symmetry in the answers, that makes muddling through the questions worthwhile. What a crazy ride!

I have been trying to write on Facebook. I realize that now, but it's not the place for writing. It's a place for catching up with people you don't hear from very often. It's a place for posting events. But it's not the same as writing a journal or writing a blog. Blogspot made me feel exposed but on Facebook there's a false sense of community, a strange sense of belonging. It's like when you feel isolated you can just post what your doing and that makes it all better. I don't know.

I don't want to think too much about it right now. It's been a strange period in my life. I have been doing my own family's genograms for the past 3 weeks, going back 4 generations. I have written in everything I know about approximately 70 people. Tracing familial patterns of addiction and disease, of closeness and battling, connection and disconnection. Of the things I've studied this is by far the most interesting. We don't have the time we need to use these tools to our full advantage. Here we have an interpretation of a person's view of their family, a map of where they came from. Powerful stuff. I find narrative medicine really fascinating.

No comments: