Those of you that know me should know that motherfucker is one of my favorite words, but up until this road trip I had never really encountered motherfuckers. To make it to 33, and be able to say that is good luck, so I am trying not to dwell on it, but if they were to be caught in a forest fire or choke to death on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made from the supplies they stole from Stacey's pick up I wouldn't mind. Stacey's truck is headed for the salvage yard anyway after being hit by a Safeway delivery truck so the broken back window will likely not get repaired. My 2 year old Old Navy slacks, and favorite shirt and hoodie are easilly replaced. My ipod shuffle hurt as I had just bought it days ago convincing myself it was an investment. My HRC bag--- what the fuck will they do with that. My house keys for the old apt, once again why? Stacey's laptop, and my winter coat that I lent her for the trip. They hit the fucking jackpot they did. And then there were little motherfucking details that were insult to injury, the true mark of motherfuckers. They siphoned nearly all of our gas, and took our cell phones. Luckilly we made it into town on what was left in our tank. They took the rest of Kaia's dog food and her fucking dog biscuits. They took the radio too. They were thorough.
I was eerily calm when Stacey was losing it.
In fact on the way back from camp I got to thinking it might have happened. We'd covered everything with a tarp but it was secluded and we'd met so many weirdos in the parking lot near Willits. Con artist types: one guy with a robin hood hat (I'm not kidding) who asked us if we'd seen a little kid with red hair and an orange sweatshirt in 98 degree weather, while his pal who had already asked us for money approached the tailgate and our backpacks.
She was in shock for about a minute before going ballistic. Three days into our roadtrip, awesome. But we ended up singing in the truck up the coast and making bitter jokes about how we'd find the assholes eating PB & J and having a roadside sale with our shit and in general I think it was one of the best trips we've had because both of us were going to be damned if they ruined it for us.
I hope nothing else goes wrong with the truck before it's salvaged. This last roadtrip was a lot of fun in spite of everything and both of us really needed the get away.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment