Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Song of Solomon

So I've read three of Toni Morrison's books now and all I can say is mind blowing. I don't know how she does it. I don't know how she gets people so well and puts it all together in a way that's engaging and direct. Her books are so specific the settings and the place in time and the characters. I can barely write anymore the ideas come but the writing is plane and doesn't flow like it did when I wrote everyday when I read good books instead of science, when I did things and saw things that inspired me.

We had a 97 year old patient yesterday and I was struck by her cavernous eyes, her delicate frame, her agile mind. I felt compelled to hold her hand while she was talking to us I wanted to shake hands with her because it felt incredible to me just being in the presence of someone with so much more experience at being alive. I like older people a lot. I think they're beautiful. I think they have a lot to teach us and a lot to offer and unfortunately I don't get to spend a lot of time with them these days.

No comments: