Friday, January 16, 2009

Deep

I remember the Haitian nurse who used to be like a teacher's assistant at American Christian, and I remember how nice she was to me. I remember sitting in the cafeteria and being 4 years old and the mean one telling us if we didn't keep quiet she would staple our tongue. And I remember thinking so hard I had to be quiet and still, and imagining having my tongue stapled and moving it all around my mouth, closing my lips really tight--- and the Haitian lady seeing me getting restless and taking me out. I remember her being so nice and thinking it was hillarious when I moved my eye brows up and down. I remember when I said I loved broccoli how all the kids gave me their broccoli in my lunch tray and I was so scared because we were supposed to eat everything and there was no way I could eat all that broccoli.

And I remember leaving American Christian for public kindergarden and me and Dad bumping into her on the street and seeing her all dressed in white in her nurse clothes. They were so crisp.

I think that's why I always thought nurses were good people. These are my sparkling moments.

No comments: